Poshan Abhiyaan was launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 8th March, 2018 in Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan. The focus of Abhiyaan is to lay emphasis on nutritional status of adolescent girls, pregnant women, lactating mothers and children from 0-6 years age. The programme, through use of technology, convergence and community involvement with a targeted approach strives to reduce the level of stunning, under-nutrition, Anemia and low birth weight in children, as also focus on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
The Abhiyaan is being implemented in all districts of Haryana. Nuh and Panipat districts were selected for Phase-I. For Phase-II, 10 districts, namely Kaithal, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Bhiwani, Yamuna Nagar, Gurugram, Palwal, Rohtak, Sirsa and Sonipat were selected. Remaining districts are covered in the Phase III.
- Prevent and reduce Stunting in children (0- 6 years)
- Prevent and reduce under-nutrition (underweight prevalence) in children (0-6 years)
- Reduce the prevalence of anemia among young Children(6-59 months)
- Reduce the prevalence of anemia among Women and Adolescent Girls in the age group of 15-49 years
- Reduce Low Birth Weight (LBW)
- Convergence: VHSND Day will ensure synergy between various departments and ministries. The Abhiyaan is to ensure convergence of all nutrition related schemes of MWCD on the target population. The Abhiyaan will ensure convergence of various programmes. This will be done by setting achievable targets, sector level meetings with concerned Secretaries, joint meeting of Secretaries of line Ministries under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary, joint guidelines for each level, joint monitoringvisits and decentralized planning.rammes. This will be done by setting achievable targets, sector level meetings with concerned Secretaries, joint meeting of Secretaries of line Ministries under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary, joint guidelines for each level, joint monitoring.
- ICDS-CAS: Software based tracking of nutritional status will be done. AWWs and Supervisors will be provided with mobile phone. Growth monitoring devices (Stadiometer, infantometer, weighing scales (infant) and weighing scale (mother and child)will be provided as well.will be provided as well.
- Behavioral change: The Abhiyaan will be run as a Jan Andolan where mass involvement of people is desired. A community based event will happen once a month to create awareness and address issues.
- Incentives: Front line workers will be given incentives for performance.
- Training and Capacity Building: Incremental Learning Approach will be adopted to teach 21 thematic modules. The training will be given by Master Trainers to front line workers.
- Grievance Redressal: A call centre will be setup for ease of access to solutions to any issues faced.
Events under Poshan Abhiyan
- Community Based Events (CBE)
Community based events (CBE) are being celebrated on 8th & 22nd of every month in all anganwadis. The themes includes Annaprasan Diwas, Suposhan Diwas , Celebrating coming of age – getting ready for preschool at AWC, Messages related to public health for improvement of nutrition and to reduce illness anaprashan diwas, Suposhan Diwas, etc. The expenditure will be Rs 15.58 crore @ 250/- per event per AWC .
- Village Health Sanitation Nutrition Day (VHSND)
Village Health Sanitation Nutritional Dayis to being conducted regularly on 15th of the month in convergence with Health Deptt, Gram Panchayat.
To celebrate the 2nd anniversary of Poshan Abhiyaan, Poshan Pakhwada was celebrated from 8- 22nd March, 2020 (suspended on 17th March, 2020 due to Corona scare) with the theme “Increasing male engagement in Poshan Abhiyaan to improve nutritional outcomes”.
During the planning phase of the Pakhwada, a video conference was addressed by Hon’ble Chief Minister and Chief Secretary, Haryana on 29- 2- 2020 with all the Deputy Commissioners in the State in order to make Poshan Pakhwada a successful event. Directions were issued to all concerned Deputy Commissioners to focus all the activities undertaken during the Poshan Pakhwada on Anaemia and malnutrition.
Several meetings were conducted at all levels i.e State, District and Block with the line departments to deliberate and plan the activities to be organized during Pakhwada. A State level meeting was held on 2nd March, 2020 with Secretaries of all the line department to discuss and plan the activities to be conducted during the Poshan Pakhwada under the Chairpersonship of Chief Secretary, Haryana. At district level, Deputy commissioners were directed to spearhead all activities to be conducted during this fortnight. They were further instructed to mobilize the community at all levels, especially in villages and to monitor the activities of Poshan Pakhwada and the outcome of concerted efforts. Since the theme was to increase male engagement during Pakhwada, they were advised to involve daily wage earners, factory workers, construction workers and other sectors which are male dominated areas of workforce.
Poshan Pakhwada was launched by Hon’ble Chief Minister, Haryana in a State Level Function held at Gurugram on 8th March, 2020. The function was attended by approximately 500 people. During the function poshan pledge was administrated by Hon’ble CM. The function was telecast live throughout Haryana. Poshan Anthem was also played in the function. IEC material including Brochures on Anaemia, Poshan ke 5 sutra i.e first golden 1000 days, nutrient rich foods, Anaemia prevention, Diarrhea management, hygiene and sanitation, Dialogue cards, Flip book, two recipe books were unveiled on 8th March, 2020 by Hon’ble Chief Minister.