Poshan Abhiyaan was launched by Hon’ble Prime Minister on 8th March, 2018 in Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan. The focus of Abhiyaan is to lay emphasis on nutritional status of adolescent girls, pregnant women, lactating mothers and children from 0-6 years age. The programme, through use of technology, convergence and community involvement with a targeted approach strives to reduce the level of stunning, under-nutrition, Anemia and low birth weight in children, as also focus on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers, thus holistically addressing malnutrition.
The Abhiyaan is being implemented in all districts of Haryana. Nuh and Panipat districts were selected for Phase-I. For Phase-II, 10 districts, namely Kaithal, Karnal, Kurukshetra, Bhiwani, Yamuna Nagar, Gurugram, Palwal, Rohtak, Sirsa and Sonipat were selected. Remaining districts are covered in the Phase III.
- Prevent and reduce Stunting in children (0- 6 years)
- Prevent and reduce under-nutrition (underweight prevalence) in children (0-6 years)
- Reduce the prevalence of anemia among young Children(6-59 months)
- Reduce the prevalence of anemia among Women and Adolescent Girls in the age group of 15-49 years
- Reduce Low Birth Weight (LBW)
- Convergence: VHSND Day will ensure synergy between various departments and ministries. The Abhiyaan is to ensure convergence of all nutrition related schemes of MWCD on the target population. The Abhiyaan will ensure convergence of various programmes. This will be done by setting achievable targets, sector level meetings with concerned Secretaries, joint meeting of Secretaries of line Ministries under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary, joint guidelines for each level, joint monitoringvisits and decentralized planning.rammes. This will be done by setting achievable targets, sector level meetings with concerned Secretaries, joint meeting of Secretaries of line Ministries under the Chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary, joint guidelines for each level, joint monitoring.
- ICDS-CAS: Software based tracking of nutritional status will be done. AWWs and Supervisors will be provided with mobile phone. Growth monitoring devices (Stadiometer, infantometer, weighing scales (infant) and weighing scale (mother and child)will be provided as well.will be provided as well.
- Behavioral change: The Abhiyaan will be run as a Jan Andolan where mass involvement of people is desired. A community based event will happen once a month to create awareness and address issues.
- Incentives: Front line workers will be given incentives for performance.
- Training and Capacity Building: Incremental Learning Approach will be adopted to teach 21 thematic modules. The training will be given by Master Trainers to front line workers.
- Grievance Redressal: A call centre will be setup for ease of access to solutions to any issues faced.
Events under Poshan Abhiyan
- Community Based Events (CBE)
Community based events (CBE) are being celebrated on 8th & 22nd of every month in all anganwadis. The themes includes Annaprasan Diwas, Suposhan Diwas , Celebrating coming of age – getting ready for preschool at AWC, Messages related to public health for improvement of nutrition and to reduce illness anaprashan diwas, Suposhan Diwas, etc. The expenditure will be Rs 15.58 crore @ 250/- per event per AWC .
- Village Health Sanitation Nutrition Day (VHSND)
Village Health Sanitation Nutritional Dayis to being conducted regularly on 15th of the month in convergence with Health Deptt, Gram Panchayat.