This is a State Scheme started in 1982 under which State After Care Home For Girls was set up at Karnal. In this institution the girls/women between the age group of 12-40 years discharged from correctional and non-correctional institutions, whose father/husband is under going long term imprisonment and have no means of maintenance, rescued from moral danger or unattached women and exposed to moral danger are admitted under proper orders of the competent court. The inmates are provided free boarding, lodging, clothing, education, training and medical facilities and efforts are made to rehabilitate them by different manners:-
• By arranging marriages where possible with suitable person.
• By providing marriage grant of Rs.15000/-(Rs.12000/- to meet marriage expenses and Rs.3000/- in the shape of fixed deposit)in favour of girls.
• By imparting them training in a trade according to their eligibility.
• By securing jobs in the Govt./semi Govt. and private institution.
• By restoring them to their lawful guardians or relatives etc. The intake capacity of this institution is 25. The inmates are kept under the supervision of a Superintendent who is in-charge of this institution. The Superintendent is also responsible for arranging training in different trades like stitching, embroidery, knitting etc. for the inmates through voluntary voluntary agencies. At present 76 inmates are staying in this Home as per report received for the m/o March, 2013. There is a budget provision of Rs.42.90 lakh in the current Financial Year 2013-14.
The department is running three homes for widows and destitute women at Karnal, Rohtak, and Faridabad to provide accommodation, maintenance and clothing allowance, education and training to the young widows and destitute women for their rehabilitation. In these Homes the following categories of persons are maintained:-
1. Young widows including deserted wives and their dependents.
2. Families of persons suffering from TB and mental disorder/disease who are unfit for earning and have no means of income and their dependents.
3. Orphan/unattached girls.
Dependent sons are maintained upto the age of 14 years and in case of girls they are maintained upto the age 25 years or till their marriage or upto the date they are employed whichever is earlier.
To make the women self reliant, they are being provided vocational training in the crafts of tailoring, embroidery, khaddi weaving and canning by the expert technicians. A family having children are being provided Maintenance Allowance(cash dole)@ Rs.600/- per month per head and Clothing Allowance @ Rs.150/- per month per head which has been revised from Rs.450/- & Rs.125/- respectively w.e.f.1-4-2010. Maintenance Allowance (cash dole) and Clothing Allowance to the single widow/destitute woman has been revised from Rs.425/- to Rs.700/- and Rs.75/- to Rs.150/- per month w.e.f.1-4-2010 . Besides this, marriage grant has also been revised from Rs.10,000/- to Rs.15,000/- for the inmates of these institution since 1.5.2007.
During the financial year 2013-14 an amount of Rs.178.00 lakh has been provided in the Annual Budget. At present 241 members of 106 families are residing in these homes as per report received for the month of March, 2013 detailed below:-