The Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 (PCM) provides a civil remedy as well as criminal provisions to prohibit child marriage and protect the rights of the children. The PCM Act provides options to nullify child marriage, maintenance of the girl and any child born from such a marriage etc. While the Act provides for relief to the child entering the marriage, it also provides for punishment of adults, who enter into a child marriage or perform, conduct, direct or abet child marriages.
The act defines a child as a male who has not completed 21 years of age and a female who has not completed 18 years of age. Therefore, if either or both the contracting parties to a marriage is a child as per this definition the marriage is considered as a child marriage. Prohibition Officer under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 To overcome the shortcoming of the child marriages restraint act 1929 the Govt. of India enacted the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 which cameinto force in 1st November, 2007
To overcome the shortcoming of the child marriages restraint act 1929 the Govt. of India enacted the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006 which cameinto force in 1st November, 2007.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE ACT
1. Promoting, permitting or participating in child marriage is punishable.
2. Child Marriage Prohibition officers (CMPOs) have been appointed to deal with the case of child marriages.
3. Child marriage can be declared null and void at the option of the contracting party.
4. The child within two years of his or her attaining majority
5. The court can order maintenance for and residence to the female contracting party.
6. If there are children out of child marriage then their best interest should be of paramount concentration.
7. The court has power to issue injunction for Prohibiting child marriage from takingplace.
Haryana state Government established Special Cells for Women and Children in each district to implement the protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 and Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006. It is established within the S.P.s office, to work with a clear understanding about Domestic Violence against Women and solemnization of Child Marriage is a crime against child and society.
The Special Cell for Women and Children is a programme of the Department of WCD and Home, to work on the issue of Domestic Violence against Women and Child Marriages. The Special Cell undertakes its work within the Indian Constitution, and work towards ensuring that women and children are recognized as individuals, with equal rights and opportunities in society, including the opportunity to live peaceful violence-free life. The protection-cum-child marriage prohibition officer (PPO) appointed at each Special ell under Section 8 of the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 (PWDVA) and Section 16 of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act 2006 (PCMA)
The Special Cells work is directed towards
1. Rebuilding violated womens self-esteem, self-worth and dignity.
2. To perform the role of the Protection Officer under the PWDV Act, 2005.
3. To perform the role of the Prohibition Officer under the PCM Act, 2006.
4. Offer immediate services in cases of family violence and atrocities against women and Child Marriages.
5. Create awareness among women / children themselves, among professional groups and general public of the provisions of PWDV Act, 2005 and PCM Act, 2006.
6. Document the work done.
21 Protection cum Prohibition officers has appointed at district level to implement the Protection of Women from Domestic violence Act, 2005 and Prohibition of Child Marriage Act,2006. The office of Protection cum Prohibition Officer is located in the office of Superintendent of Police in each district. Protection cum Prohibition Officers(PPOs) work in cooperation with their subordinate staff i.e. one Clerk cum Data Entry Operator and one Multi-Purpose Worker to ensure effective implementation of Protection of Women from Domestic violence Act,2005 and Prohibition of Child Marriage Act,2006. Home Deptt. has also provided one male Constable and one female Constable for their assistance.
One Consultant is appointed to co-ordinate with concerned stakeholders at HQ. PPOs at district level coordinates with concerned agencies for ensuring effective relief to victims such as legal aid, medical facility, shelter home, counseling etc.
To give wide coverage to provisions of Prohibition of Child Marriage in the Act, PPOs are conducting awareness activities at Village, Block & District level on weekly basis. Publicity folders have been on Prohibition of Child Marriage Act and Special Cells are circulated to different stakeholders for awareness generation.
Click here for Contact List of PPOs
Ms. Pooja Consultant , WCD head quarter. (Contact No. 0172- 2580349 ) Email id email@example.com